Drawboard PDF - Frequently Asked Questions
I have questions about how to use the application - where do I find help?
The best information for Drawboard PDF will be at our knowledgebase. We do not offer phone support for Drawboard PDF, but you can choose to get in contact by submitting a ticket if you need!
Is Drawboard PDF pre-installed on my device?
Drawboard PDF was pre-installed on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Surface Book and Surface 3 devices manufactured before 2017. Drawboard PDF was never pre-installed on the Surface Pro 3, Pro 2 or RT.
I don't want to use the Windows Store to download Drawboard PDF - what are my options?
Outside the Windows Store, Drawboard PDF is only available via our sideloading method as a subscription for large volumes. Please get in touch with our sales team for more information on how we can accomodate your needs.
Does Drawboard PDF store my documents or annotations in the cloud?
No, it does not. Drawboard PDF deals entirely with local files on your device. If you are looking for a document and annotation management service, why not check out Bullclip™?.
Why is Drawboard PDF not listed on the Windows Store for Business?
Unfortunately the Windows Store for Business is not yet available to Australian developers, but as soon as we are able, we will jump right in!
I can't find my activation key or login credentials for Drawboard PDF!
Unless you have legacy enterprise licenses with Drawboard PDF, or you are a sideloading user (perhaps ask your IT department), you do not need to enter in an activation key or any credentials to activate Drawboard PDF. In other words, if you have purchaed Drawboard PDF on the Windows Store, the application will automatically activate for you.
How many computers can I use Drawboard PDF on?
The Windows Store allows you to install Windows 10 applications (i.e. Drawboard PDF) on up to 10 devices. You just need to ensure that you are logged into the Windows Store with the same Microsoft Account on each device.
Do I need to have a pen/stylus to use Drawboard PDF?
Drawboard PDF will work on any Windows 10 device, so don't necessarily need a stylus to work. However, Drawboard PDF works best with a pen or stylus, as the basis of the application is built upon digital inking!
Knowledge Base and Support
Drawboard PDF Changelog
Version 5.1.70 (Windows 10)
Windows 10 release 1607 is required for Drawboard PDF version 5.1.50 and above.
- Added Drawboard PDF PRO grid types to the ‘create blank document’ page, to increase discoverability.
- Improved the Touch to Annotate smoothing algorithm.
- Changed behavior of page scrolling with PageUp/Down keys to now scroll up and down within a page if you're zoomed in, rather than skipping to next/previous page.
- Text Insert tool icon now has its T portion always grey and the dotted outline representing the active text color.
- When using Text Insert tool, left clicking free text annotations with mouse will now select them (this already worked for finger tap).
- Radial menu defaults to open for the first 5 uses of the app.
- Radial menu remembers whether it was open or closed between sessions.
- Main Menu lock icon is now a pin.
- Main Menu transition animations have been reworked to help the user understand what unchecking the pin does.
- Removed a number of unused settings from the settings menu.
- Fixed an issue where the flatten command could flatten half the annotations.
- Fixed the Protractor calibration being incorrect.
- Fixed an issue where user selection filter settings (select text/annotations with any tool) weren't being enforced.
- Fixed an issue where editing a form textbox could result in an empty box.
- Fixed an issue where creating a new portrait document could result in a landscape one.
- Fixed an issue where adding a new page would default to grey.
- Fixed the Drawboard PDF PRO purchase form not fitting onto smaller screens.
- Fixed an issue where jumping to a high numbered page framed the page incorrectly.
- Fixed issue where Touch to Annotate ink wasn't visible until the user next interacted with the document.
- Fixed some tool tips on left-hand main menu bar.
- Fixed form fields with font size 0 that were displaying at huge font sizes. The default is now 12pt.
Version 5.1.60 (Windows 10)
- Save blank document defaults.
- Ability to paste bitmap data from the clipboard (i.e. select pixels in Microsoft Paint, copy and paste into Drawboard PDF).
- Added a navigation back button. When a user navigates through the app and page links, a back button appears on the UI allowing the user to jump back to where they came from.
- New Save As (Optimized) button in More to reduce PDF's file size.
- Drawboard PDF PRO: Linear measurements now have perpendicular line endings.
- Forms now wrap text in multi-line fields.
- New pages now default to white, not grey
- Other performance, interface and stability improvements.
- Fixed issue where rotating pages could rotate the wrong page.
- Fixed issue where some hyperlinks were not working.
- Fixed a range of form bugs.
- Drawboard PDF PRO: Fixed an issue where the title couldn't be changed in Document Builder.
- Fixed an issue where inserting new pages could only be done about page 1.
- Fixed an issue where some text highlights couldn't be deleted.
- Fix for issue where a valid app license is interpreted as a Trial version.
- Fixed issue where corrupt documents that could be fixed weren't always being fixed.
Version 5.1.50 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where some password-protected documents would incorrectly appear as unsupported.
Version 5.1.40 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where annotations would unexpectedly disappear.
Version 5.1.30 (Windows 10)
- Fixed trial expiration issue with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update.
Version 5.1.20 (Windows 10)
- New Drawboard PDF PRO feature - Document Builder.
Version 5.1.10 (Windows 10)
- Added support for copy/pasting text from another program into your PDF document.
- Added option to disable animations when in non-continuous mode. Go to Settings -> View & Layout -> Enable transition animations.
- Performance improvements to document loading and page loading.
- Fixed a Drawboard PDF PRO trial expiration issue.
- Fixed issue when users are in airplane mode.
- Fixed issue that manifested when rotating a polygon.
- Fixed issue where disconnected devices cause a delay in selecting Drawboard PDF PRO tools.
Version 5.1.00 (Windows 10)
- Introduction of Drawboard PDF PRO (in-app purchase) - calibrated annotations, line, area and polygon measurements, digital protractor, and line and grid templates & overlays.
- Surface Dial integration and compatibility.
- Greatly improved the performance of forms.
- General performance improvements.
- Iconography changes.
Version 5.0.190 (Windows 10)
- Added option to disable auto-select when an annotation is created.
- Added ability to select an annotation within the bounding box of an existing selected annotation.
- Added a minimum bounding box size for small annotations to make selection much easier.
- General performance improvements
Version 5.0.160 (Windows 10)
- Addressed issue with creating documents from photos.
Version 5.0.150 (Windows 10)
- Made the Enterprise Sign In and Enterprise Activation Key section of the App Settings > Account page much clearer.
Version 5.0.120 (Windows 10)
- Polygon vertices can now be repositioned after creation.
- Arrow and line endpoints can be repositioned after creation.
- All shapes now maintain stroke weight when resized (they no longer warp).
- Markups can now be moved between pages.
- Newly created shapes are now automatically selected after creation.
- Shortcut keys are more responsive.
- The overlapping of annotations (the z-order) is now preserved when flattening annotations.
- Fixed issue where some users may experience the app freezing upon reaching the loading screen.
Version 5.0.110 (Windows 10)
Version 5.0.100 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issues with inking and erasing.
- Fixed an issue where bookmarks would fail to appear.
- Fixed an issue where main menu would not close.
Version 5.0.90 (Windows 10)
- Fixed bug that would allow Drawboard to be downloaded on mobile devices.
Version 5.0.80 (Windows 10)
- Improvements to enhance compatibility with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Version 5.0.70 (Windows 10)
- A range of application stability improvements.
Version 5.0.60 (Windows 10)
- The Laser Ink tool has a new icon.
- Fixed issue where mouse scroll wheel would not scroll pages when in non-continuous mode.
- Fixed issue where pan tool would lag when display scaling was higher than 100%.
- Fixed issue where trying to change the weight of a line or arrow to below 1px would revert to 1px.
- Fixed issue where images would appear upside down or rotated when first inserted.
- Fixed issue where Highlighter tool would highlight more text than intended.
- Fixed issue where it was not possible to pan when the cursor was outside the boundaries of a page.
Version 5.0.50 (Windows 10)
- The Laser Ink tool is now in the radial menu as its own tool! It has all the features of a normal pen (opacity, color, size) and can be added to favorites.
- Fixed issue where PDF would display as black screen if display scaling was above 200%.
- Fixed issue where opening a PDF from Dropbox would cause the user to receive an error message "Access Denied: File in use".
- Fixed issue where Fit to Width would not behave as expected in Double Page or Cover Page modes.
- Fixed issue where highlighter tool would not display as expected on dark pages.
- Fixed issue where opening PDFs that were not created properly could lead to corruption.
Version 5.0.40 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where mouse scroll wheels did not scroll pages when in non-continuous modes.
- Fixed issue where text review and text select tools would select whole row to the left of the document view.
- Fixed issue where a change in author name would not be reflected on new annotations in markup history.
- Fixed issue where CTRL-C sometimes would not work after text selection.
- Fixed issue where markup history would sometimes incorrectly count annotations on a page.
- Improved stability of markup history panel. Markup history will now show the last annotation made on each page that has annotations.
- Disabled first-use walkthrough for Surface Hub users.
Version 5.0.30 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where teal deletion highlight effect would not disappear after deletion is complete on text review.
- Fixed issues with highlighter and underline tools where a vertical line would appear at the beginning of a selected word.
- Fixed issue where highlighter would only highlight some words within the intended string of words.
- Fixed issue where text review would not work with vertical text.
- Fixed issue where highlighted text would temporarily disappear.
- Fixed issue where highlighting might appear misaligned on text.
- Fixed issue where highlighting only a couple words in a sentence might instead result in an entire sentence being highlighted.
- Fixed issue where underlining and highlighting would result in the underline or highlight to move vertically downwards, instead of horizontally.
- Fixed issue where highlighting text might result in text disappearing.
- Improved visibility of vertices on polygons.
Version 5.0.21 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where double tap to insert bookmarks could cause save button to cease functioning.
- Fixed an issue where hovering over a checked checkbox in a form would cause the check mark to disappear.
- Fixed live tile issues with lag and thumbnail display when a document is pinned to Start menu.
- Fixed issue where the cursor style would not be in the correct state under some conditions.
- Moved markup filter customization to a new window.
- Stability improvements
Version 5.0.19 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where the insert text tool colour would not display correctly in the favorites bar.
- Fixed issue where manipulating pages (insert, rotate and delete) would not update document immediately.
- Fixed issue where annotating in portrait would not allow annotations on some areas of the page.
- Fixed issue where some users could not progress past the application loading screen.
- Fixed issue where application would crash when some users typed into inserted text box.
- Fixed issue where application would not launch for some users.
- Squiggly tool will now squiggle in real-time.
Version 5.0.15 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where documents would render as black with particular Continuous Mode conditions.
Version 5.0.14 (Windows 10)
- Introduced ability to select different eraser sizes in the radial menu and add the eraser tool to the favorites bar with selected size.
- When the barrel erase button is used in ink mode, the eraser tool size will now match the currently selected pen ink size.
- Fixed issue where F8 button was not working correctly.
- Fixed issue where Home and End keys would not work as expected in Double or Cover layout modes.
- Fixed issue where navigation in Cover layout mode would fail to navigate to correct page.
- Fixed issue where swiping to turn pages would not consistently work.
- Fixed issue where Fit to Width would not maintain across entire document when using arrow keys in some circumstances.
- Fixed issue with default view mode not working as expected.
Version 5.0.13 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where document could not be saved correctly when PDF opened from another application.
- Fixed issue where document could not be saved if it had been deleted after being opened.
- Fixed issue where chunks of text from PDF would disappear.
- Fixed issue where text would disappear and annotations would remain.
- Fixed issue where a newly loaded page would distort.
- Fixed issue where annotation and page positions would not line up in some instances.
- Fixed issue where annotations would appear a few text lines below where they were placed.
- Performance improvements.
Version 5.0.12 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where annotations would not save in some instances
Version 5.0.11 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where flattening inserted text would not be highlightable.
- Fixed issue where inserted text appeared washed out.
- Fixed issue where cover page view was not working as intended.
- Fixed issue where document pages were being clipped.
- Fixed issue where inking would not appear at certain zoom levels.
- Fixed issue where inserted pages would not show immediately.
- Performance improvements.
- Display/rendering improvements.
Version 5.0.10 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issues with navigation of bookmarks in single-page view.
- Fixed issue with polygon tool jittering when using touch.
- Performance improvements.
Version 5.0.9 (Windows 10)
- Performance improvements.
Version 5.0.8 (Windows 10)
- Improved memory usage.
- Improved rendering performance.
Version 5.0.7 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where signatures would not behave as expected.
- Fixed issue where after changing View & Layout settings, annotation was not possible in some areas of a page.
- Fixed issue where ink would not apply near edges of page on some devices.
- Fixed UI errors in 'My Folders'.
Version 5.0.6 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue with severe blurring on some documents.
- Fixed issue where some ink would have 'spikes' appended to strokes.
- Fixed issue where some preinstalled users on Microsoft Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 devices would experience a 'Trial Expired' notice.
Version 5.0.5 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where rendering was laggy with black screens
- Fixed issue where ink was cut off when writing with larger stroke widths
- Fixed issue where resizing inserted text caused the text to vanish
- Fixed issue where inserted text box size was incorrect
Version 5.0.4 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where app would draw significant battery in normal use.
- Fixed issue where markups would appear washed out or faded in other PDF applications.
Version 5.0.3 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where text review was not working whilst using Annotate Using Touch.
- Fixed issue where ink would still be smoothed whilst using Annotate Using Touch, even if the Ink Smoothing option was disabled.
- Fixed issue where bookmarks would not appear.
- Fixed issue where double tap configurations were not working.
Version 5.0.2 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issues where bookmarks would cease to work after switching documents or could not be accessed.
- Fixed issue where password protected files would appear unsupported or corrupt.
- Fixed issue where using keyboard arrows to move cursor in text box would change page.
- Fixed issue where files would take a long time to open with unflattened annotations.
- Fixed issue where turning off pressure sensitivity would cause drawn lines to extend and create sharp edges.
- Fixed issue where highlights would appear as splotches of colour and underlines would appear above intended line in other PDF applications.
- Fixed issue where large files would stay frozen on opening animation screen.
- Fixed issue where files would open to a black screen.
- Fixed issue where large files would take a long time to open and dramatically increase memory usage.
- Fixed issue where custom pen width would max out at a value of 20.
Version 5.0.1 (Windows 10)
- Fixed issue where spacebar was not working in Insert Text boxes, and in some cases would advance the page.
- Fixed issue with non-pressure sensitive inking.
Version 5.0.0 (Windows 10)
Drawboard PDF v5.0 is a complete re-build from the ground up! We have greatly increased performance and stability and have even rewritten some of your favorite tools.
- Drawboard PDF is now a Universal Windows Platform (Windows 10) application.
- Support for Cortana.
- Support for Windows 10 Drag and Drop.
- Greatly improved memory usage.
- More responsive UI.
- Context menu now lives down the bottom of the document in a short options bar.
- Enhanced disk caching
- New inking technology - ink is faster and instantly visible on the canvas.
- New radial menu technology and interaction animations.
- Text review tools now appear as you drag the stylus.
- Text review tools now support opacity.
- Redesigned Polygon tool.
- Redesigned Notes tool.
- Resigned signature tool.
- Redesigned Insert Text tool.
- Redesigned arrow tool - now draws as you drag the stylus.
- Redesigned cloud tool - now draws as you drag the stylus.
- Improvements to annotation resizing, moving and rotation, maintaining scale proportions.
- Ability to set opacity on pressure-sensitive ink.
- Redesigned iconography.
- Undo/redo now also supports clearing annotations, adding new pages and rotating pages.
- Insert picture from camera - window no longer fills entire screen.
- Improved accuracy of text selections.
- From Version 5.0.0 onwards, Drawboard PDF will only be updated on Windows 10 - Windows 8.1 and 8 versions will no longer be updated. In addition, Drawboard will only support Windows 10 installations of Drawboard PDF.
- Auto-save has been removed from Drawboard PDF, as this was a significant contributor to app lag and file corruption.
- Sound Notes tool has been removed.
- Group stroke inking has been removed.
- Arrowhead direction options have been removed temporarily.